Thursday 1 March 2012

1001 Shocking Science Facts

As it's World Book Day I thought I would share with you a great book I've just discovered.

I volunteer at the Wee Man's school library two afternoons a week and on Monday I came across a fascinating book which has become firmly in-trenched in my all time great books list.  I brought it home and for the past few nights it has kept the Big Man and me very amused.



Some interesting titbits from the book :

"It only takes about 10 days to die from a total lack of sleep"  Well my record so far is 5 years!

"When you sneeze all your bodily functions stop momentarily"  Really?!  How did they figure this one out?

"Each person's tongue print is unique"  Remember not to lick anything when you are committing a crime!

"Rats can't be sick.  Rat poison kills them effectively because they can't throw it up"  So it's just the rat poo we have to worry about.

"Hot water freezes more quickly than cold water"  Huh?!

"A giraffe can lick inside it's own ear"  Nice!

"It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open" I remember a science teacher telling me this years ago.  Something to do with the force of the sneeze pushing out your eyeballs if your eyes are open.

...and so it goes on.  1001 shocking facts about the world around us.  This is one of those books that is guaranteed to get people talking about it.  If you see it at a car boot, charity shop or even a regular book shop, you must get it.  It really is that great. 

3 comments:

  1. I love facts like that, and little boys find books like that brilliant. Lots of 'ugh' facts as well. As for the sleep, they obviously haven't talked to us mums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that'll be a perfect read for Boy1 - thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rats can't be sick? I'll be quoting that one !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...