Thursday 8 September 2011

Anyone want some support?

Well, I've only gone and done it.

All too often I've lamented the fact that the Big Man and I are on this allergy journey alone and scrambling around in the dark.  I'm a talker (gossiper) and would love nothing more than to have a moan with someone about this and that.  With someone who understands what I'm going through and what life is like with allergies.  Living life with the knowledge that your little one's lungs and heart could suddenly stop working.  I have tried in the past to talk to my friends about it but all too often I get the feeling they see me as an overprotective helicopter Mum with a crumb phobia.  A slight roll of the eyes and a twitch of the mouth is enough to convince me of their thoughts on the matter.

I was introduced to the Anaphylaxis Campaign by the Wee Man's school nurse.  They are a fantastic charity who are:  "the only UK wide charity to exclusively meet the needs of the growing numbers of people at risk from severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) by providing information and support relating to foods and other triggers such as latex, drugs and insect stings"


Amongst the many services they provide, they run workshops for parents and young people and also support groups.  I'm so glad I've become a member of the charity but I was very disappointed to find out that there wasn't a support group near me.

So, I went and did it.  I've volunteered to run a new support group for my area.  Yikes!  I've never, ever run anything like this before.  If it were a testosterone filled company directors meeting, I wouldn't flinch.  I could run them in my sleep.  But a support group?

I have images of sitting alone in a dark, damp room with only the sound of a dripping tap to keep me company.  What if no one turns up?  What if it is just me, talking to myself?  Worse still what if there's loads of people and they all sit in silence staring at me, waiting for me to "perform"?

The first meeting is in six weeks and in that time I have to drum up some people, otherwise I may well be making conversation with the walls.


3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea Madison, good for you. It may take a little time to become known locally, but don't be disheartened, it sounds like it will be a really valuable resource for other parents in your position. Will the charity/local hospital help you promote it? Have you thought about setting up a FB page as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness that is one thing I have no problem with. I know many that do tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Madison, Lakota's idea of a Facebook page and promotion via the charity is top, also look at getting a twitter feed or hashtag going, I'm sure it will be a success.

    PS - Fair play to you for putting up with the eye-rollers and mouth-twitchers, my son has an allergy to Amoxicillin which only brings him out in a crazy rash and makes him feel like poo and I know that he's unlikely to be in contact with that without us knowing about it, can't imagine what you have to stress about on a daily basis. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...